We’re planning a Financial Independence Week in Europe. These are the thoughts/plans we have so far…
We started this blog to get to know the FIRE community all around the world. Since we live in Germany, we are especially interested in the community on this side of the ocean.
We hear about so many meetups and conferences in the US (FinCon, Chautauqua, other Mustachian meetups) and now it’s time for us Europeans to get together!
First, we’d like to start with a brainstorming week in mid 2016
We’d like get some European FI bloggers together in Budapest in a small group (maybe 10-15 tops) to:
- Get to know each other
- Brainstorm about how a European FI week could look and how we want to do it
- See who wants to get involved in organising it and how
- Enjoy and eat ourselves through the city
- Generally have great time with no fixed agenda!
Our rough plans for 2017
- Organise a 1-2 week meetup or small conference type of thing in Budapest or Stuttgart
- Have an agenda, presentations, workshops, discussions
- Plan in enough free time as well to explore the place
- We’ll organise an affordable, nice location with accomodation for all of us
- We’d like to see bloggers, people who already reached FI, people who are on the way and people who are interested and want help
- Maybe invite relevant guest speakers/professors/experts in the field depending on the topic of the meetup
- Limit the number of participants (20-25?) so that we all get to know each other and have a great time
- It should be a community-building and teaching event as well
- We don’t want to make it commercial – it should be accessible to everybody (everybody will pay their own expenses, including speakers).
- Anyone interested can submit a short video or text where they describe their situation, what help they need, how they can contribute to the community and why they’d like to participate.
- Participants should be selected by the organising comittee.
Our main goals for this meetup:
- Build a community
- Learn from each other (i.e. through case studies)
- Inspire and be inspired
- Discuss EU-specific FI topics/tools/techniques
All these are obviously just rough plans, but we wanted to share them with you to see whether anybody is interested and to have a discussion about it in the comments section.
- It’s an amazing and inexepensive city.
- It’s accessible from anywhere in Europe. You can fly/drive there easily from anywhere.
- We know it, we love it, we can’t get enough of it!
- The food there is just mindblowing.
- There’s just so much to see and do there.
We’re going to keep posting updates on this, so if you’re interested, don’t forget subscribe to our list.
What do you think? Would you like to participate? What are your thoughts on our initial plans?